Using a HTML table is a great alternative of intense graphic design. It also helps your website to look professional and load faster.
Flashy websites, with lots of intense graphic designing, consume enough loading time to frustrate your website’s visitors. On the other hand, you can use HTML tables for creating amazingly professional and considerably faster webpages. Another great advantage of using HTML tables is that they improve the functionality of your website.
In this article, you will find some amazing tips and tricks for using and designing HTML tables, so that they can be used to their full potentials.
1. Decide the Structure: The first tip to get started is to decide the structure of your HTML table. By deciding the structure, you will have a clear picture of what you want, and hence, you can then decide further things on the basis of this structure. There are three major structures to choose from: a. Vertical HTML Tables b. Horizontal HTML Tables c. Matrix HTML Tables The structure should be decided on the basis of your webpage’s content, information, and suitability.
2. Save the Time: Another great tip, after deciding the structure of the HTML table, is to save as much time as you can, while creating it. Starting out in Microsoft Excel can help you in saving a considerably good amount of time. It is much easier to make tables in Microsoft Excel than hardcoding it. Furthermore, there are many web applications, which can help you in transforming your Excel’s tables directly into the HTML. Another tip, in order to save some time, is to use any famous online table generator. An online table generator will not provide you the final product; however, it will definitely help you in forming the basic structure of the table. Even such assistance can save a great amount of time. Some free online table generators are:
a. Table Generator
b. Spectrum Research
3. Designing the Table: By adding a little CSS to your HTML tables, you can make them more attractive, engaging and professional. You do not need to spend hours to style them up.
Designing is a crucial factor in improving the readability, appeal and enchantment of the tables. Following are some tips to add some styles to the old HTML tables:
• Colour Differentiation: You can add a colour differentiation in your table to highlight certain special offers.
• Size Differentiation: Size differentiation is another great tip to use. It is generally used to highlight premium offers.
• Colour and Size Differentiation: In addition to using both the above techniques individually, the tip is to add both the techniques combined. Hence, you can add size, as well as the colour differentiation in an HTML table to make it more appealing and highlighting.
4 Important Things to Remember: While applying the above-mentioned tips to create, design or use HTML tables, make sure to remember the following 5 important things:
a. Do not load useless and extra information in any HTML table.
b. If it is inevitable to skip any information, try creating expandable areas, e.g. to show hidden rows by clicking arrows.
c. Another thing to remember is to add a search box in your HTML table, if it is too huge.
d. Avoid breaking or merging cells within a table.
e. Always give height in pixels, not in percentages.